St John the Baptist Parish, Koo Wee Rup
St John the Baptist, Koo Wee Rup
170 Station St, Koo Wee Rup
A brief history of the Parish
St John the Baptist Parish, Koo Wee Rup, was established by the late Archbishop Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne, in 1946. It then covered the areas of Koo Wee Rup and Lang Lang. The first Parish Priest was Fr James Opie. Then there were churches in Koo Wee Rup and Lang Lang. Before that this area belonged to St Joseph’s Parish, Iona.
In October 1959 the Koo Wee Rup parish together with the Berwick, Pakenham, Iona, Maryknoll, Korumburra, Dalyston (now Cowes) and Wonthaggi parishes, became part of the Diocese of Sale. It was then that St Peter’s Church, Tooradin – up until then part of St John’s Parish, Dandenong – was added to the Koo Wee Rup parish. This church has since been closed.
Another major change came in 2000. Then the Koo Wee Rup and Iona-Maryknoll parishes were asked to go into Parishes in Partnership. Fr Bernard Buckley was then appointed Parish Priest for both parishes.
St Mary’s, Lang Lang
22 Carnavan St, Lang Lang